Scroll to top
You are here: Home1 / Objectives of IGI
The main objectives of the IGI are:
- To promote the interests of the geoscience professions and advance the science and practice of the geosciences in Ireland.
- To require its members to uphold and maintain the highest professional standards in the practice of their profession.
- To increase the confidence of the community in the employment of recognised geologists by admitting to the IGI only such persons as have an adequate knowledge and experience of the geosciences.
- To promote improvements in the law and take any other steps and proceedings as may be deemed necessary in the interests of the IGI and its members.
- To improve professional standards by organising appropriate professional development programmes for its members.
- To represent members’ professional interests with government, appropriate committees, media and society as a whole.
- To develop good relations with other relevant geological bodies in Ireland and elsewhere in the world.
- To encourage and assist in the education of, and develop course accreditation for, geologists and geoscientists in Ireland.