Professional membership is open to all practising geoscientists who meet the required standards of qualification and experience. The IGI provides membership categories for geoscientists at all career stages, with a Professional Geologist (PGeo) membership category, a member-in-training category for those working towards the PGeo title, and membership for associate, retired and student geoscientists. The IGI is also an awarding body for the European Federation of Geologists EurGeol title.
How to apply
There are five categories of membership of the IGI:
• Professional Membership
• Associate Membership
• Retired Membership
• Student Membership
In addition, the IGI accepts applications from:
• Applicants who have previously been members of the IGI but whose membership has lapsed
• Applicants who are members of organisations with whom the IGI has a Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA)
All applicants are advised to review the Application Guidelines to determine which category of membership they should apply for. It is essential that applicants use the individual application form for the category of membership for which they qualify. There are two application deadlines each year; end of January and end of July. Applications can be submitted by post or by email.
Applicants must also have their Sponsor(s) complete and submit a Sponsors Statement form in support of their application.
The application forms can be accessed here:
IGI PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIP Application Form pdf
IGI MEMBER-IN-TRAINING Application Form.pdf
IGI ASSOCIATE Application Form.pdf
IGI RETIRED Application Form.pdf
IGI STUDENT Application Form.pdf
IGI LAPSED MEMBER Application Form.pdf
IGI MRA Application Form.pdf
If you are applying for EurGeol membership (PGeo applicants only) please complete the EuroGeol application form. Application fees and the first years annual membership subscription must be paid at the time of application.
- Professional Member Application Fee €50.00
- EurGeol Application Fee €35.00
- Associate Member Application Fee €20.00
- Member-in-Training Application Fee €20.00
- Re-Application €20.00
- Student Member free to join
Annual subscription fees
- Professional Member Annual Subscription €175.00
- Associate Member Annual Subscription €40.00
- Member-in-Training Annual Subscription €40.00
- Retired Member Annual Subscription €40.00
- EurGeol Annual Subscription €36.10
- Student Member Annual Subscription free
- Late Submission Administration fee €25
Application fees and membership subscriptions can be paid below using the PayPal facility.